The book, published in November 2010, "is a comprehensive guide to the increasingly relevant, broad and ever changing terrain of studies surrounding race and ethnicity. Comprising a series of essays and a critical dictionary of key names and terms written by respected scholars from a range of academic disciplines, this book provides a thought provoking introduction to the field, and covers:
- The history and relationship between "race" and ethnicity
- The impact of colonialism and post colonialism
- Emerging concepts of "whiteness"
- Changing political and social implications of race
- Race and ethnicity as components of identity
- The interrelatedness and intersectionality of race and ethnicity with gender and sexual orientation
- Globalization, media, popular culture and their links with race and ethnicity."